McLaren MP4-12C | McLarenChat
News

McLaren MP4-12C

Discussion in 'Super Series (MP4-12C, 650S, 675LT, and 720S)' started by ross, Feb 10, 2018.

1. ross

ross Formula 3
    Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    who has or had one? how did you like it? give us the download please.

thanks

2. ross

ross Formula 3
    Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this guys says its prone to breaking expensive parts.....

3. JOEA2

JOEA2 Rookie
    Subscribed

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have a 2014 Spider with 25,000 miles and I love it. Maintenance is expensive, but it's worth it.

Joe

4. Rob Lay

Rob Lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I test drove one before the GT3 and fell in love with it. To me it is pure race bred sports car. Sorta hard to get in and out, but inside you are comfortable and perfectly enveloped as it wraps around you. They sound great and brutal turbo power. I love how you can independently set 3 modes for suspension and power/exhaust. If driving around town you can still keep suspension soft, but have the fun power and sounds tuned up.

I then drove the GT3 and loving that car too, many similarities how they seem built for the track first and tolerable around town. The 12C probably does a little better job with the range of driving and softer around town than the GT3.

I love the looks, but have to chuckle and agree a little when writers say the McLaren still has a hint of kit car look. That is best way to describe them, beautiful and serious car, but it has more of a kit car look than Ferrari and Lamborghini.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks Rookie
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Never driven but know 3 that have owned them. All LOVE them.

6. Alcav5

Alcav5 Rookie
    Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'll offer my small take on the car.
    Last week I picked up an '08 430 spider. But before I decided on the car my salesman had me test drive a '14 MP4-12C spider which was about $25k more. He says it is a newer car, technologically advanced, and an awesome combination of superior driving with exotic fun. He says it drives like my old 997tt but with Ferrari soul. So I took the car on a 1/2 hr ride and I was impressed a little. It did drive like my old Porsche, it was tight, it was quick, I did hear the engine & it did sound a little like the Ferrari at the upper end. And regardless that it was smallish and it's looks where undecided to me , I did seriously considered it. But in the end, I was there to pick up a screaming fun weekend toy that I wasn't going to drive a lot or track & that didn't need to be state of the art. So I chose the Ferrari.

7. Shark01

Shark01 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    Go to youtube and follow a guy named Troy Sowers.....he's pretty honest about his expenditures, seems like his car is on the truck back to the dealer several times a year.

8. ross

ross Formula 3
    Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    will do.
    thats basically how i found that other opinion.
    i started looking at them with the thought that it was a bargain and might be an interesting car to look out for. but once i saw a few of the maintenance scare stories, i have mentally backed off. seems like some things make even a ferrari look cheap.
    they also look hard to get rid of - there are 80 some for sale right now !
    but i would like to try one sometime.

9. Shark01

Shark01 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with the 12C (strangely, just like my marriage). Sooo much car for something I can buy right now without purchase guilt, and we have a good dealer here in Houston. But then you see these stories.....these guys are spending more on maintenance (when including the almost MANDATORY warranty extensions) than I am on a 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster.

Really watching the 570s also to see if its getting better....so far mixed results.

10. Robin

Robin Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've had mine for close to two years and the only thing I'd replace it with is a 720. I've put almost 20,000 miles on it in that period including a 2 month, 12,000 mile road trip around the country, and haven't had any problems yet. There have been some minor things fixed under warranty but aside from condensation in the headlights it's been flawless and I couldn't be happier with it. Although I haven't had any issues with mine, the warranty can be extended out up to 12 years which takes some of the edge off. I might be skewed though since I previously had a 355... nothing seems expensive after owning one of those for eight years.

flat_plane_eddie, JoeTSI and Rob Lay like this.
  11. ross

ross Formula 3
    Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i had that experience with the 348 - worst car i ever owned.
    tell us more about the extended warranty. cost, coverage etc

12. f4udriver

f4udriver Rookie

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Bought one for my wife's birthday 4 years ago. Annuals run about 2,000 with only one unexpected 3,000 for a airbag sensor. She absolutely loves it and I feel the same way. 10,000 miles so far We own many high end sports cars and I feel the MP4 is the most refined and best feel by far.

3604u and Rob Lay like this.
  13. Robin

Robin Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    It seems like that era of Ferraris was a real labor of love. It's like dating the crazy stripper for a while and finally leaving her for the nice girl. Fun at the time but huge relief to move on.

The factory warranty on the 12C was 3 years and that can be extended through McLaren with a third party service contract for up to 12 years. I'm doing it one year at a time for about $4500, although they build in some profit so that amount is negotiable. I paid $4200 last year. I'm about to call my service guy today to renew for another year so I'll see what it is now, as I've heard it's gone up a hundred or two. The contract covers all of the mechanical and electrical items from the factory warranty, but doesn't cover cosmetic stuff, wear and tear items, or software upgrades. I haven't had any problems with my car but I'm still keeping the warranty intact as a safeguard against the transmission crapping out since it's the same sealed unit in a few other cars that's known for leaking and being unrepairable. Annual service was $1100 last year but I think this year is going to be a few hundred more since more items need to be addressed at four years. Overall it's been a painless experience along the lines of my 911. Just replace the oil and tires every year and it keeps chugging along.

14. Ingenere

Ingenere Formula Junior
    Premium Subscribed Owner

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    My 348 experience was totally different. I had a very early car (17th US car), for 20 years and it was brilliant.

15. redcaruser

redcaruser Karting
    Premium Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The 12C is a masterpiece, apart from a few small "children's diseases" (mostly sorted out under warrenty) its architecture has enabled the successful market entry of McLaren and is still today benchmark for the super car market. This car forms the basis of the Mclaren DNA. The 12C has the core technology that makes McLaren so successful today, this car still plays today in the highest league with regard to technology components and performance capabilities (he plays easy on 488 level). Clean and pure, light, stiff and brutal powerful with a clever active aero and a high sophisticated and adjustable chassis. This car reflects the courage of McLaren to enter the super sports car business.

And as we are faced with a master technological change (electrification of drive trains) I am convinced that the 12C will gain value in the future, too strong is its technological core. There is no other brand which was so consequent with its (mass produced) super cars at the end of the non-electric era. And the 12C is the founder of this last generation of super cars.

Jamarico, 1mean3 and markjeansonne like this.
  16. ross

ross Formula 3
    Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ^
    did you copy and paste that from some kind of press release or marketing piece?

ETL330 and shawdut like this.
  17. Rob Lay

Rob Lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    either that or he needs to be writing professional marketing pieces. :D

JoeTSI likes this.
  18. redcaruser

redcaruser Karting
    Premium Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    No no, don't worry, these are my own words, no ghostwriter needed. I really like this car, its technology layout, the philosophy behind (surprise surprise, I own also a hyper agile McLaren carbon turbo monster).

No one has to love this brand with its products, one can also say these products are not as emotional as products of other brands, but it is like it is, with a little bit technical understanding everyone recognizes that these cars set standards, technology at its finest. The 12C was the first of this genus and has successfully opened the market for McLaren, its core technology and basic layout is the blueprint for all subsequent McLaren products, whether sport, super or ultimate series. This is the substance of historical significance, isn't it? To recognize this, there is no need for doctoral degrees, just a little common sense...

Jamarico and markjeansonne like this.
  19. redcaruser

redcaruser Karting
    Premium Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Thank you Rob, I read this as a compliment! ;)

20. Ingenere

Ingenere Formula Junior
    Premium Subscribed Owner

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It may be a great car, but it may be economically unfeasible to keep these on the road. $30K for a gearbox. $30K for a steering rack. $3K for a battery! McLaren has designed these cars to keep enthusiast owners (like myself), away. I have been told that I would not even be able to buy an oil filter and change my own oil as long as tear is under warranty..... and even then, I may be a 'hostage' to the dealer for repairs or service that I may not want to do. This why there isn't a Macca sitting next to my CS right now.

21. Rob Lay

Rob Lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    can you change oil on 488 yourself these days with SD requirements etc?

22. 1mean3

1mean3 Rookie
    Premium Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    I owned a 12c spider for 2 1/2 yrs. truly an amazing car. Awesome performance. Beautifully made. Unmatched chassis stability and its a drop-top. The negitive stuff about the brand you read is mostly biased BS.
    I agree you should keep an extended warranty on it ($4400 yr) I would also recommend that with Ferrari or any late model exotic. Cost was less than the Ferrari warranty extension on my 599gtb. I just considered that part of the deal.

I agree with every word ”redcaruser” wrote. You cant get close to the experience for under $300k. My service experience was good. $1800 annual cost. Didnt have to wrangle the service manager to cover warranty items like I do with Ferrari. And make no mistake...they all can have things to fix.

Loved every minute of it. Wouldnt hesitate to do it again.

RonMathMD and redcaruser like this.
  23. 1mean3

1mean3 Rookie
    Premium Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Guess no 458 either

24. Ingenere

Ingenere Formula Junior
    Premium Subscribed Owner

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have a buddy with a 458 that changes his own oil. It's easy. Parts are available as well. I also have a great diagnostic tool that covers the 458.

McLaren has been pretty bad about keeping their diagnostic tool in house, but I have a friend who has been able to reproduce it. So, that problem is eliminated. But if you can't even buy parts or service items, THAT is being held hostage.

25. 1mean3

1mean3 Rookie
    Premium Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    I wasnt aware McLaren made it difficult to service a car for DYIrs. I think that would be a mistake.

I never serviced the 12c myself because it was under warranty and I wanted to maintain the consistant service history thru a dealer. I knew I would sell the car and wanted that as I believed it would be of value to the next owner. I did purchase a service manual just to get to know and understand the car better and did quite a bit of Poking around. Very cool stuff!

I have a 360 spider, a Z8 and numerous porsches and most often do the maintenance and minor repairs myself. I’m not threatened in any way by the cost of components or repairs on those cars. I thoroughly understand the need, desire, motivation to be in a position to service a car myself. I just see that as limited (for me) on later model “exotics”

I believe we all share the same concerns regarding exspensive gearboxes, suspension components, and engine/electronic management systems. Thats why I value the warranty as this could be a big issue when something fails. But that can be an issue on all brands at this level.

I LOVE Ferrari but know well the proposition. Just defending a brand as I think Mclaren’s are awesome and have a lot to offer.