News
  1. Beau365

Beau365 Rookie

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    +1
    BHP is the Silicon Breasts for car marketeers.

2. frefan

frefan Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    And who doesn't like silicone breasts haha. HP is everything. Well technically power to weight is where its at. Unless you live in a crowded city I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

3. SimCity3

SimCity3 Rookie

Oct 22, 2015
    Great Britain
    Torque and good balance is even better :)

4. Brandon_

Brandon_ Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    exhaust doesn't sound too bad in this video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-vVrBt6-XQ[/ame]

5. frefan

frefan Karting

Apr 21, 2004
  6. noone1

noone1 Karting

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't expect it to sound massively different or better than the LT. At the end of the day, it's still a turbo.

7. Brandon_

Brandon_ Rookie

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I love NA engines...when it comes to a sports car its still part of the appeal for me. But I must say, McLaren seems to have maybe the best sounding turbo I've heard.

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    true, but thats still sorta like being tallest midget...

9. Monsieur Yoge

Monsieur Yoge Rookie

May 20, 2016
    Not really, if they can dial the whole turbo lag thing down and make it sound good, an NA engine would seem unnecessary and ancient very quickly...

Turbo is the way forward no matter what the enthusiasts say, the new turbo engines even in economy cars are great.

10. 250P

250P Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    720s with it's 4 litre twin turbo or with say the 6.5 V12 from the 812; which would you prefer?

As an aside; I'm guessing real world range (not EU testing BS) wouldn't be that different between the two.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Lawmakers love burying their heads in the sand. They all know that turbos don't deliver real world MPG benefits. Car makers know it. But politicians would rather live in fanstasy land and not actually incentivize car manufacturers to deliver real world MPG improvements because they'd have to face the reality that what they've been legislating for years has been a joke.

12. 250P

250P Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I totally agree.

Is anyone seeing more range from their 488 v's 458 when driven with spirit? I doubt it.

Like for like, turbo's add complexity and maintenance cost with no real world benefit

13. frefan

frefan Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    I can think of 720 real world benefits....

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    But you're proving his point. Turbos are great for power, but they only deliver fuel economy improvement in labs. So let's be real about when they should be used. And they change the character of an engine/car. So while they may deliver more power an NA with 100 less hp that revs out and sounds amazing and delivers instant throttle may be more desirable.

15. frefan

frefan Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    I don't care about fuel economy but I'm not going to complain about 22MPG when cruising. My 575 V12 gets 9MPG. My 675LT has an 8500 redline and sounds awesome so perhaps your bought the wrong turbo lol.

16. 720

720 Karting

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    How does it sound? I heard somewhere that the 720S sounds exactly like the 488. I've only picked up bits and pieces of the 720S exhaust sound on a couple of McLaren's PR videos, but it sounded pretty good. i was also surprised to hear that McLaren pipes exhaust sound into the car (somehow) depending on selected driving mode. I'm curious if you noticed the different exhaust sounds if/when you changed driving modes (comfort, sport, track)?

I'm also curious about the doors. I usually try not to park near other cars, but I'm curious if you can open the doors if/when someone parks next to you?

17. MarkNC

MarkNC Karting

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The one I drove had the optional sport exhaust and it sounded amazing. I didn't hear the cars close enough together to compare the sound but McLaren has definitely tuned the car to sound great and most people will likely order the sport exhaust.

As for the interior, yes, the exhaust sounds louder when in track mode.

The doors are amazing. When fully open they're each about six inches closer to the car than the outgoing car (650S). I never had problem parking the 650S but when I parked the 720S I was amazed at home extra room there was between the fully open door and the car I parked next too. Six inches doesn't sound like much but it makes a huge difference. I'd say the parking clearance of the 720S is going to be BETTER than a similar supercar car with conventional doors. It's also super easy to get in and out of because the roof panels are cut out with the doors, similar to LaFerrari and the original McLaren F1, and also because the door sills are angled downward (like with 570S) toward the front of the car so it's really easy to get your legs in and out.

There are so many well-thought-out touches in this car to go with the absolutely-incredibly driving experience. It will easily be the most usable car in its class while giving zero away in performance and driving excitement. Can't wait to get mine this summer!

18. frefan

frefan Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    Rick I'm not sure the 720 pipes sound inside, I could be wrong but they didn't do that on the LT (its not needed). It was kinda problematic for some on the 12c/650s and most ppl just turned it off. Yes there was a difference between the modes but it was a fake sound. McLaren have learned a lot of what works and what doesn't and that was one of those things that just didn't.

19. 720

720 Karting

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi. I'm not 100 percent sure they pipe exhaust sound into the cockpit either. I've been poking around, reading everything I can find on the 720S and also watching every video I can find. I stumbled into this video where a Mclaren representative (I think I've seen him before, but I don't recall his name or position) is answering a reporter's questions and pointing out lots of interesting tidbits. The whole video is worth watching, but around the 2:20 mark he starts talking about the exhaust sound. The reporter asks him if they pipe exhaust sound into the cabin? He almost reluctantly acknowledges what he calls "intake sound generation" where genuine mechanical noise from the engine is piped into the cabin. He goes on to say that they "throttle" the noise depending on the selected driving mode.

It's good to hear that this can be shut off if it's not desirable.

https://youtu.be/FSSB6LU5di8

20. frefan

frefan Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    According to that video it sounds like its still there. Hopefully its improved otherwise I'd turn it off.

21. 720

720 Karting

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #671 720, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm kind of late to the party, but I just stumbled into this thread yesterday. I noticed that the dark eyes sockets were bothering quite a few people...including me. I believe that someone asked or suggested that one solution might be to finish the eye sockets the same color as the car. Did anybody confirm that the eye sockets can in fact be ordered the same color as the car?

I found this picture, which I believe is a rendering, but it shows eye sockets the same color as the car. I think it helps "tone down" the eye sockets quite a bit. I'm curious to hear what others think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Monako

Monako Rookie

Sep 23, 2007
    Canada
    It's the only way to spec the car imho, gives it a much more aggressive look.

23. frefan

frefan Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    I was a bit shocked at the headlights at first but they have grown on me. Once you start looking around at other cars you'll notice most have very large cooling vents below the headlights. For example audi R8 but also 911s, even the 488, the cooling vents have become ridiculously large and take over the whole front end. We've just become accustomed to that. But the 720s is a cleaner look in person and kuddos to McLaren for doing something different.

24. Peloton25

Peloton25 Rookie

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I've never been bothered by them - do prefer them in visual carbon fiber compared to the dark grey colors McLaren paint them as standard, but there's an added cost for the carbon obviously.

Having the eye sockets painted in body color is not on the standard 720S option list and it is also not clearly defined on the MSO price list for the car either. That secondary option list does include these two line items:

MSO Satin Lacquered Finish to All Exterior Carbon Fibre Options USD 7,232

MSO Tinted Lacquered Finish to All Exterior Carbon Fibre Options USD 8,567

However, it isn't clearly defined that it would include the eye sockets. Easy to imagine there would be people who might prefer traditional bare carbon on the other bits and body colored eye sockets, but that's going to require a discussion between your dealer and MSO.

>8^)
    ER

25. frefan

frefan Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    Rick, I'm not sure if you know what MSO is, but its basically the customization department of McLaren. They will do anything you want. I even had them make me a 1-off custom start button, it was only 350 pounds. So yes they can be painted, like erik said you just need to get a price quote. In ferrari world the answer would be absolutely no but with McLaren its the opposite.