Is the McLaren GT a failure ? | McLarenChat
News

Is the McLaren GT a failure ?

Discussion in 'GT' started by F456 V12, Nov 18, 2019.

1. F456 V12

F456 V12 Rookie

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    This is not meant to troll anyone, but the lack of discussion on McLaren Life and McLaren Chat seem to indicate very low interest. My local dealer in Newport Beach has already had at least two coming out parties and sends me weekly invites to drive their demo car. I would be interested to know what owners and potential owners have to say, reviews by the mags and Youtuber's mostly favorable, but I think expectations were much higher in the performance end...maybe car enthusiast are not yet ready for a mid engine GT car and the guys at AM, Bentley and Ferrari can sleep well.

Somewhat off topic - To be honest, my wife an I were quite interested in putting down a deposit, but at least for me when the new C8 was introduced, a lot of my interest towards a GT car shifted away from the McLaren GT. I figure that Z06 version will be at least 1/2 the cost of a Mac GT and far easier to get serviced on long trips. [I am close to self imposed retirement and want to drive the USA]

MB

Booker likes this.
  2. Night life

Night life Rookie
    Premium Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto Giannini
    I think the car has huge potential and probably will attract a certain market, but it is not the prettiest looking imo, I have yet to see one in person though. When you spend that sort of money you want to be fully happy with your choice, there is no question that it will be powerful, excellent fit n finish, ride quality will be sublime but is that enough? Having owned 2 Macs now I know this will be an excellent car but pictures make it look sort of generic, I hope the lines look better in person.

3. Booker

Booker Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Moderator Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I think the McLaren GT was released a little early, as Mac is still establishing and expanding their dealer network. I see the GT as a direct competitor to the Audi R8 and access to various audi dealers is clearly a huge plus for that car. McLaren is moving it's home base to Texas early next year, so I think McLaren should have marketed their dealer network heavily and then relased the GT after changing headquarters... just my 2 cents

4. Ingenere

Ingenere Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #2 Ingenere, Dec 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Go drive the McLaren and the case will be closed. All the rest are just excuses.

5. Vince Piacenti

Aug 6, 2019
    SE Michigan
    Full Name:
    Vince Piacenti
    I want to look at the GT but since you can't see the engine, I am looking more seriously at a used 570S.

I have a C7 Z06, fantastic car. Saw the C8 in Bowling Green at the museum's 25th anniversary: that is a great car at a great price. I will get one in a couple of years, but I want the McLaren first

6. Vince Piacenti

Aug 6, 2019
    SE Michigan
    Full Name:
    Vince Piacenti
    I want to look at the GT but since you can't see the engine, I am looking more seriously at a used 570S.

I have a C7 Z06, fantastic car. Saw the C8 in Bowling Green at the museum's 25th anniversary: that is a great car at a great price. I will get one in a couple of years, but I want the McLaren first