Carrera T | McLarenChat
News

Carrera T

Discussion in 'McLaren Discussion (Not Model Specific)' started by SoCal to az, Jan 24, 2019.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az Formula Junior
    Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Anyone driven a Carrera T? I’m looking to possibly sell my 488. It’s just not being driven and I can’t take it to the office so I figured I’d sell it and pick up a “beater” to drive to office. I have my Range Rover but Joliet looking for an inexpensive manual to have some fun in.

I regret selling my Touring but that’s a story for another day. Rather than try to find a Touring at 200k I think the T is half the cost.

I know it’s much less power but let’s face it, if I want power Ill drive my 720.

Anyone driven one of these? Are they fun? Engaging? Again- do t care about the fastest car but I want a fun manual. It all depends on what I can sell the 488 for also.

Just tossing out ideas - I’m bored! :)

2. IPO1

IPO1 1st Subscribed User
    Owner Subscribed

Dec 23, 2015
    Honestly it would be hard for me to buy a Carrera T. I think they are under HP and meh--certainly if you had Touring.

Let me toss one out there that I think you'd have fun in a manual...'19 BMW M2 Competition. Now before you go no way, go read the reviews. Plus over 400 HP, can get manual and know two exotic guys that each got one in the past few weeks as a side car (exactly what you are looking) and love them. I'm not a BMW guy at all, but for like $65K new, it's damn tempting for a toy.

3. SoCal to az

Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    m2 might just be too small for me. 6'4" and m2 is a small car. But price is right. Ill check it out. Im in no rush.

aaronrgonz likes this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Im selling my 1st Edition M5 w/5k miles. This thing is a beast and a great DD. 128k list, pretty much all options but carbon brakes. Plenty of room as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    will keep it under advisement. Need to sell the 488 first....

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you want to trade it my dealer will do the transaction. They are buying used exotics for their new exotic car sales side. Just a matter of what they are willing to pay.

7. SoCal to az

Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Maybe....I’m just not sure I want a four door. Already have the Range Rover. More than likely will do a 2 door but right now am just thinking out loud

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I get it. I have an RR as well, for me it is undrivable but my wife likes it.

9. SoCal to az

Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ha! Love my Rover. It’s a great daily beater.

10. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Moderator Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    "Beater" lol I love it. I have been hearing that the 488 market isn't looking to friendly right now...get rid of it quick!

11. SoCal to az

Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    meh- ill sell it when it sells. Till then, Ill drive and enjoy it.

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Administrator

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Fair enough, have you sold any personal Ferrari's before?

13. SoCal to az

Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Nope. 488 is my first Ferrari. I’m not sure what the future holds but at the current moment, I’m more impressed with the Mac line of cars. The performances is just better. Cars are lighter, more nimble. You don’t have the sound- yeah but I don’t care about that.

Ferrari has a bunch of new cars coming out and if they are better, I’ll buy one. I’m not loyal to any one brand but I do like the current macs better.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am curious to see what Ferrari does next. I do believe Mclaren has put them on notice so hopefully they will step their game up.

SoCal to az likes this.
  15. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Administrator

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    They answered today! The Tributo is a nice looking car. Even though it is a new and improved 488.

16. SoCal to az

Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think it looks nice. It’s a nice refresh of the 488. However-

Does it have more hp than it’s conpetitor 720? Nope.
    Is it faster than it’s competitor 720? Nope.
    Does it have more technology than it’s competitor 720? Nope.
    Does it have a carbon tub? Nope.

I mean- I know it’s not all about hp and speed but this does not make me want to trade in my 488. It does not make me want to sell my 720 and get one.

It’s barely caught up to it’s competitor which was launched 2 years ago.

I do like the design and find it appealing but if I didn’t own a 720 or a 488, would I buy this car? Probably not cause in a year or so the replacement is out and all of a sudden this new car is old.

Talk about depreciation - this thing is going to tank.

I’m super confused why Ferrari put so many resources in this project instead of just focusing on the replacement and bringing that out one year sooner.

I’m seriously confused by this car.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I agree with you

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Administrator

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Why so confused? I think its a good looking car with a definite appeal.

19. SoCal to az

Owner Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So is the Pista. Why not just extend Pista production. Why spend time and resources to reskin the 488? Focus on the actual replacement.

20. Ingenere

Ingenere Formula Junior
    Premium Subscribed Owner

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I think Mac has caught Ferrari on their heels and they aren't quite sure what to do. Most magazines face the Pista off with the 600LT, which must drive the Maranello boys crazy.

The performance of all of these cars is fairly academic. They are all blisteringly fast and can barely be exploited on the road. One of the things I want from an exotic is specialness, and that includes not seeing yourself coming and going. As unique and special as my Stradale is, it is a Ferrari and anytime I go to Scottsdale, I'll see a half dozen dancing ponies parading around at 5 under the speed limit. I rarely see McLarens..... and I like that!

SoCal to az and Gh21631 like this.
  21. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Administrator

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Thats a good point from a more purist standpoint but they did come out and say they were going the way of more variation within their models. It does seem extra, but extra in a good way to me.