720 S DESTROYS THE PORSCHE.... | Page 2 | McLarenChat
News

720 S DESTROYS THE PORSCHE....

Discussion in 'Super Series (MP4-12C, 650S, 675LT, and 720S)' started by gtjoey, Dec 22, 2017.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Hey, you gotta pay to play. It's definitely expensive and time consuming compared to tracking what you drove to the place with and for most won't add much marginal benefit.

I'd rather track a motorcycle. A lot cheaper to buy and operate and way way faster. For sure more dangerous though. :) That's what I recommended in all the Tesla threads last month when people were debating performance and price to exotic cars.

exoticcardreamer likes this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have little to no experience with track days but I am going to get Into it in 2018. The way you describe your mentality is similar to mine. Another reason is I have a number of fast cars and I’d like to push those cars somewhere I can legally do it. Even if they aren’t P1 or 720S fast they’re still too much to push on the road.

3. william

william Rookie

Jun 3, 2006
    England
    Full Name:
    William Denoyelles
  4. IPO1

IPO1 1st Subscribed User
    Owner

Dec 23, 2015
    GT2RS will spank any McLaren. Get a real driver.

5. sainthoo

sainthoo Rookie
    Premium Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Richmond, Va
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'll bite. I go to the track when I can, not as much as I like, but I do some amateur racing and lapping. I realize that I am a minority.

I do care about track times, not necessarily Ring times specifically. It is a lazy way to guess about braking, cornering, acceleration. Trouble is the subjective piece is missing - "handling." That is problematic, because that is most important for having "fun." Give me a Lotus, Miata, BMW E30, etc. and I will have as much fun as driving an exotic.

On the other hand, sometimes there is no substitute for just laying down a few quick laps and blowing by everything. Not the 720, but my 570S is a stone cold killer. I was at a Porsche track day, and I destroyed everything - Turbo S included. Seriously fast car, pulls harder than a Cup Car (no aero, so gave it up in corners).

To each their own I guess. I almost bit on 720, but I am holding out for "LT" version of 570 (I was 170+ on back straight at VIR, so honestly, I don't need anymore power).